Reality check. Nightmare was just beginning.
Second night in the hospital and little man’s oxygen stats drop and drop and don’t come back up. And this is already after having to wake him to get him a new IV.
We try increasing oxygen again and again and again but nothing, no improvement.
Doctor has been called and now we’re having the discussion about what happens next. About returning to high flow oxygen (oxygen with some pressure to help force lungs open), about being transferred to the main hospital, about going to ICU. Those three letters. The real nightmare. The fact we even have to discuss it is anything but ok.
We have one more thing to try. If it doesn’t work – high flow. Also a blood test to see how his body is reacting. There’s a point at which the body reaches a guarantee it will need more support even if it is ok now. If this test shows he’s reached that point, even if we get him breathing better we will be transferred.
Holding our breathe.
Last attempt at a breathing treatment works. His stats start coming up. He’s still requiring extra oxygen but we’re ok for now.
Still holding our breathe on the blood test. We still don’t know if we’re really improving or if this is temporary.
To be continued…